Here are a few questions I'm commonly asked when helping someone create their first web site.
What are the steps to getting my web site set up?
- You'll want a domain name.
- You'll need a "host" -- someone like GoDaddy who has computers on the Internet set up to deliver web pages.
- You'll need content -- what do you want your web site to say? I tell people that this is the hardest part, because I need you to tell me everything!
- You'll need a way to manage your content. That's where WordPress comes in. You don't have to learn WordPress, but the basics aren't difficult. I can put your content into WordPress for you, or you can help... or eventually do it on your own.
- Your site needs monitoring and maintenance. I can do that for you, so you don't have to worry about it.
- You need more content... fresh content! I recommend adding a blog entry at least once a week.
Are web sites expensive?
They don't have to be, and most of the time, I can get you started for under $100. Nothing fancy, but does the job.
How long does it take?
A lot depends on you! If you make decisions quickly, we'll get you a domain name in 1 day, a WordPress host site in one day, and if you already know what you want on the site, I'll get that put into WordPress in a day or two. That's under a week from start to finish!
Of course, if you want to scour the Internet for just the right domain name, and you need time to develop content (don't worry, I'll help make it sound good!), then it could take longer.